Things I want to remember






Although I still have 74 days left of placement and 15,000 words left to write on my dissertation, my head is already somewhere past this course. I am ready for it to be over, for May and freedom and a summer spent in fields far, far away, thriving. I spend my free time searching for flights, I spend hours debating over where I want to work post-qualifying and where I want to live and what my new apartment will look like when I finally have a paycheck once more.

I have to force myself to take a step back, force myself back into the present and this tiny studio that has become my home. I don't want to move on too fast and not appreciate this time learning and growing and reaching out and becoming what I hope to become. I know that I am itching to be done, restless in a room that has no space to sew or sit comfortably. But this time studying has been good.

I want to remember my balcony garden, hours perched on my kitchen bin as I potted and repotted and tended to my vegetables.

I want to remember the string of zines above my bed, a daily reminder to write and create, but mostly a colourful distraction from the stained walls.

I want to remember the table I got for £7 to make my kitchen look more like a kitchen, and the dried flowers that sit on it, preserved from a bouquet I was given when I left my first placement.

I want to remember the wonky red table that balances precariously by my wardrobe, filled with paper and glue and my long armed stapler.

I want to remember my slowly growing collection of ornamental hedgehogs and mushrooms, hidden between houseplants that I irregularly water but are clinging on.

I want to remember the photobooth strips that I make every visitor take stuck around my mirror, the square photos and boob print wallpaper that make up my headboard.

I want to remember two mattress piled on top of each other, barely space to put one on the floor for a guest, wedged into the fireplace.

I want to remember the high ceilings and Victorian decoration and the massive single pane window that makes the room bright but freezing.

I want to remember the view down my road to the sea.

The next step might be more exciting and grand than my current day-to-day student existence, but I don't want to wish it away. I will miss this room and the time I have spent here. It has been the foundation for all I have managed to achieve. I don't want to forget it.

This entry was posted on Monday, November 25, 2019 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply

I love to hear from you guys :)